Friday, February 21, 2014

Baubo wants to help...



Oven roasted skillet chicken is what Baubo and I are preparing for dinner tonight. This bird likes to eat and is forever hopeful that I will create something pleasing to her palate. This is why she has such an interest in what I am cooking. I enjoy her company, while at the same time I worry about her diet. She does not receive the right amount of nutrients so vital to a birds existence. Exotic birds, for the most part, are fragile creatures. The wrong food, weather, disease, or gas can kill them very easily.In order to fool Baubo into getting the nutrients she so desperately needs I devised a recipe for bird bread.

I don't remember when I discovered, or the circumstances of my discovery, that most birds like cornbread. In fact, all of the birds that have been sheltered in our household have eaten and enjoyed cornbread. And often veiled by the bread can be found a number of nutrients. From prescription by veterinarians, to vegetables, to grains and healthy seeds. Seeds are the enemy of exotic birds yet most enter a household hooked on bird seed when they should be eating nutrition pellets. Seeds are bad for the liver of most all birds. A steady diet of nothing but bird seed will shorten the lifespan of a bird considerably. Fortunately I've found cornbread has the ability to help with the transition from seeds to pellets.

No comments:

Post a Comment